RSS

Sally Struthers Healthy Eating...


Yesterday I spent almost the entire day on the my friend Rich's couch watching Six Feet Under episodes. I still think that David's blackarican cop, boyfriend is the sexiest man to ever breathe. Anyway, around 7:00 he and his roommate decided to order pizza in an attempt to debunk my theory that decent pizza does not exist in Milwaukee. I got nervous because I have done such a good job sticking to my Seattle Sutton diet. Rich sensed my discomfort and said "ohhhh yeah, you are on that Sally Struther's diet". Not quite...

Since August, I have been a good girl, eating mostly whatever Seattle Sutton (not Sally Struthers) sent me. The food is not frozen, which is sexy. There are a lot of fresh fruits, veggies and lean, white meats. NO RED MEAT! There are 2 "plans", 1,000 or 1,800 calorie version. I am opted for the 1,800 calorie option, knowing I would be less likely to cheat... 1,000 calories sounded paltry. The food is okay overall. The breakfasts rock and include items like whole wheat little bagels and nut spreads coupled with fresh fruit. My favorite is a breakfast casserole! The lunches are okay too. Sometimes there is a gross slimy turkey puck thing, which I just cannot eat. I prefer my own dinners to Seattle's... but the convenience is nice, especially now that I am back in school.

I have lost about 20 pounds since mid-August. I occasionally cheat and have chocolate at work or stop at Starbucks for a Skinny Hazelnut Latte, but for the most part, I stick to the SS. I am averaging about 2 pounds per week, which is pretty healthy. I think I am going to switch to the 1,000 calorie plan and add some yogurt and fruit to the daily menu, to bring my caloric intake to 1,500 calories, which I think is very reasonable. I have NOT been exercising like I need to be, but that is next. Since I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) I have vowed to take diet and exercise seriously. I have successfully quit smoking (for REAL) and I feel pretty good about that. I don't really crave those nasty mother fuckers anymore. Now if I can only get my mother and friend Jen to quit...

Anyway, Seattle Sutton seems to be working for me. It is hella expensive ($150 per week!), but really... giving up the coffee treats (a.k.a fat girl supplements) and the cigarettes, I am coming out ahead considering all I need to buy is skim milk. I hope not to purchase it forever, but it is getting me accustomed to appropriate portion sizes and forces me to get to know vegetables that I actually like.

And by the way, I did have ONE piece of that Milwaukee pizza and it was pretty delicious... but I think it was probably because it was the first non-Sally Struthers dinner I had eaten for many, many, MANY weeks. Sorry Rich.

1 comments:

Anne said...

Dieting and quitting smoking at the same time is bloody amazing. My exercise also suffers during school. In my last class, I said: "OK, finish this assignment and then you can play Wii Tennis". I don't think that will work again.

How long do you plan on working the Seattle Sutton?

Post a Comment